Monday, August 15, 2005

"Lihing" Pineapple

This is my new favorite snack! And to think I learned this from my vietnamese coworker from work and NOT from a Hawaii local. It's so simple, I'm amazed why I've never had it before. And coming from Hawaii - that's even more amazing since we put lihing powder" on EVERYTHING.

Just what is lihing powder? Lihing powder is exracted from plums and has a Sweet/Sour/Salty flavor. It can be added to almost anything to add a unique sweet sour flavor.

When I first tried making this dessert I took it to a birthday/baby announcement party at my friends' house and their family just LOVED IT! So give it a try if you already haven't.

You only need 2 things to make this refreshing snack/dessert: pineapple chunks and lihing powder. Just add this powder generously to the fresh pineapple chunks until coated. Chill to make the pineapple very very cold and then just serve! It's not so simple if you don't have the powder though. You can't buy this powder in just any store. You'll only find it in stores in Hawaii, in some mainland Japanese stores that sell products local to Hawaii, at Hilo Hattie/ABC store locations across the U.S. or online.

Back home, we'd always have lihing on dried fruits, don't know why I never tried it on fresh stuff. I wonder what lihing on fresh mango would taste like? I guess I'm buying mangoes from the store tomorrow.

*tip* My friend recommends buying fresh pineapple from COSTCO - they seem to be the cheapest there. But if you're like me and HATE spending the time cutting the "eyes" off the fresh pineapple...you can settle and buy the pineapple already cut from the fresh fruit and deli section of your local grocery store. (not all grocery stores will have this section)

3 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Nanette said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I'll definitely be back to visit yours. :)

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Nanette said...

Ohhhh....wait! You're a foodie?!?!? You're going to cancel out all my hard work with Weight Watchers! :)

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Yum-e said...

LOL - I'll do my best to include some healthy aspects...but it's so hard being a foodie! Just ask Jenn - I make her some of the most sinful stuff.

thanks for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home