Wednesday, August 15, 2007

"Deep Fry my deep fried and put some cheese on it please...."

My first visit to the Orange County Fair and what a deep fried experience that was!
The OC Fair
The SUN - it was hotThe Fair
Boy was it ever hot...and a little crowded but the heat tapered off later and we had a great time. I was really excited to try, for the first time, deep fried twinkies and oreos! There have been mixed reviews amongst my friends...though the one really bad review I won't really count since it was from a friend who was forced to eat 6 deep fried twinkies at his bachelor party as one of his humiliation tasks. I digress...though my emphasis before going to the fair was on the deep fried Oreo Cookie...the winner?...the deep fried Australian potatoes with cheese only on top. (no ranch, skip the ranch!) That was "THE BEST!". I'm so glad our friend B recommended it or I would seriously never had thought to try it. In addition to the fried stuff, there were some other things like the smoked Turkey legs! Ahhh - reminders of the Renaissance Faire (okay, go ahead and laugh...I only went once). Enough talking, here are those pictures I promised eons ago. But be warned...looking might prompt eating and eating 100% deep fried is not for the weak stomached! Enjoy!
Yeah - Turkey LegsYum-e Smoked Turkey Legs!
Smoked BBQ Turkey CloseupSmoked BBQ Turkey
More Turkey LegsYeah - right
Monkeys for my friend J.
Monkeys for Jenn
Fair staples:
JUMBO Corn Dogs
HUGE Funnel Cake DisplayYummy Funnel Cake
The Australian Deep Fried Potatoes! (below)
So Yummy with just Cheese on topDon't this look goodCheesy CloseupCross-section of Cheesy CloseupThis made me feel a whole lot better<--Well, then I gotta buy it now!
Gotta have drinks and we opted for the refillable:
Ergonomic Refillable Cup2007 07 July OC Fair-064
Our one ride at the fair:
2007 07 July OC Fair-065
The deep fried collection starts here!:
Deep Fried Snickers<--deep fried snickers.
The very elusive deep fried booth buried at the back of the fair:
Deep Fried EVERYTHINGDeep Fried Menu (Partial)Our Deep Fried Items
Deep Fried Twinkies on the left (one with strawberry topping and the other chocolate), deep fried Oreos at the top with chocolate topping and sprinkles, deep fried twinkie to the right (better eaten hot I think, we got it from another booth and by now it was a bit colder) and a Raspberry filled Krispy Kreme donut chicken sandwich...save your money and spend it on more deep fried Australian Potatoes...WITH CHEESE!

4 Comments:

At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahhaa.. this is awesomely weird!!

I heard they even had "fried coke." Did ya try that?

Very nice pics!

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Yum-e said...

They did have "deep fried Coke" indeed! This woman saw me staring intently at the booth muttering, "what the heck IS that?!" and graciously (& surprisingly) offered me some of hers to try! I just couldn't do it; I was too full. I also had run out of memory in my camera and was totally bummed. It was interesting though I think our theory is that it's coke flavored batter. Either there's coke in the batter or regular batter is deep fried, later soaked in coke and then deep fried again. Either way, it looks like batter that had been thinly drizzled into hot oil making these thin squiggly strings. I will definitely save room to try it the next time around.

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Did you eat all of that??? I've tried the deep fried Twinkie and am intrigued by the Snickers.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Yum-e said...

Hey Jodi!

I had a bite from each...there's no way I could have eaten all of that...well, I could have but we were sharing and I was already getting pretty full. The snickers was interesting, I just wish it wasn't as "Hollowed" out after the deep frying. Maybe they fried ours just a little too long...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home