Sunday, November 09, 2008

Homegrown

IMG_8139
"Farmer's Market" Joan from work so generously gave me a couple lettuce plants as an experiment. She grows a couple lettuce varieties in her backyard and wondered how they'd do in pots.
IMG_8140IMG_8141
Me and another co-worker of mine from work were interested in planting some winter veggies and lettuce. However, we didn't have the ground space to do it and so Joan brought in a couple plants in pots for us to take home and experiment with.
IMG_8153
And man, I feel this much closer to Thomas Keller. Okay - a BIG stretch, but I am now eating salad made with lettuce leaves that came from my own back patio! I was so excited to eat my first homegrown salad - so much so, I JUST HAD to take pictures, hehe. (okay, a lot of pictures...who takes pictures of spinning salad?!)
Time for a spinnin'
Anyway - the salad turned out beautiful and we ate the fresh lettuce with a quick olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing. Wish I had bought some sweet red onions to go along with it...sorry Jaime Oliver, I have failed you. But it was great none the less. Fresh is best and it's just plain fun.
Beatitful!

2 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Blogger Jodi said...

Oh, my guinea pig would love that lettuce! Too bad I kill everything I try to grow. : (

 
At 6:07 PM, Blogger Yum-e said...

The great thing about being the one who takes the pictures is that I only have to take pictures of those things that are growing, hehe. Y'know, I killed off all my mint. Mint is a WEED! How the heck did I kill off a WEED?! So don't feel so bad Jodi =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home