Friday, November 07, 2008

The Perfect Scoop - Dark Chocolate

For my second ice cream experiment...I give you the cover of The Perfect Scoop, Dark Chocolate Ice Cream!
My new book
A girlfriend at work loves chocolate...and I mean LOVES chocolate. Her chocolate obsession is at odds with her love of healthier foods. One perfect example is a story she recants about eating Skinny Cow Chocolate Ice Cream sandwiches alongside a heaping spoonful of peanut butter, and I mean ON the spoon. With the ice cream sandwich in one hand and the spoon in the other, she'll take a bite out of the chocolate skinny cow sandwich and then a lick of the peanut butter; savor, swallow, repeat. Ah - it's the simple things in life y'know?
Nifty containers from Smart & Final! AWESOME!
So, after my first experiment on my co-workers of my first ice cream, Passion Fruit w/ Macadamia Nuts, I decided to indulge in my co-worker's chocolate obsession and make The Perfect Scoop's Dark Chocolate Ice Cream. I had some Penzey's Dutch Natural Process Cocoa Powder and bittersweet chocolate in the cupboard and a pint of whipping cream in the fridge. I was contemplating running to the store to buy the heavy whipping cream, but got lazy and decided if I was going to finish this tonight that I better start it now!
The making of the Dark Chocolate Ice CreamDark Chocolate Ice Cream setting
I was worried; I thought that substituting whipping cream for heavy whipping cream in this particular recipe was an absolute no-no. But thank goodness, it came out alright. I thought it could have been darker tasting - I think my bittersweet chocolate wasn't exactly 70% - don't know, it didn't say on the packaging. However, my co-workers thought differently. So much so that the container somehow disappeared when I wasn't looking. They all loved it and so did my chocolate obsessed friend who is probably going to kill me if I bring in another ice cream before next week. I gotta pace the experiments or they're all going to hate me for contributing to the normal winter weight gain. But I can't help it! I feel like an evil ice cream mad scientist!!! And the freezer is starting to fill up with my mad experiments. Next experiment...Cookie Dough for the hubby.
Ice Cream StockpileIce Cream Stockpile!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home