Monday, May 18, 2009

French Parisian Macaroons (a first!)

Since there's not much I can do as far as painting when pregnant, I thought I'd try my hand (finally!) at Martha Stewart's French Parisian Macaroon recipe. I always thought these things were so daunting to try and have been warned by many a blogger. But I just LOVE these things - especially after the bakery tour Jenn took me on a while back. I can't get enough of these things and so I have been wanting to make these for a while. It only took me until I was preggers and swelling in the feet to be inspired, but oh well! Whatever works!

I think when any recipe calls for a piping bag, that's when a lot of people call it quits. But...since I had gotten into a cake frenzy last year, I already had the tools and so I was happy to bust them out again. I'm just glad they got some use after being totally abandoned after I got tired of cake making...
Cake Supplies good for something!
After mixing the batter and getting my piping bag filled and ready to go, I was piping away like crazy. These got done in no time! (I drew 1" lines on the parchment to guide me. I know there's a better way to do it, but I was too lazy to look it up. so much for my cake training)
Laying out to form crust
Closeup
Now the directions to say leave piped cookies out until the shine dulls a bit and a crust starts to form. I didn't see much dulling after 15 minutes and then gave up after 30 minutes. I wanted these babies in the oven already!
In the oven
After 15 minutes with a turn of the pan 1/2 way through cooking and door left ajar, they were done!
Out of the oven
Nice dull finish with those signature feet I just love!
Closeup
It was time to pick tops and bottoms...
Everyone pick a partner...
Now for the filling. Well, I skipped the directions for Martha's fillings for a much quicker solution...NUTELLA! Yum-e hazlenutty chocolaty goodness! I didn't have a #4 piping tip so I just used my #5 instead. Worked perfectly fine.
My filling of choice
Applying Nutella filling with piping bag
Nutella Filling complete
Time to add the tops...
Add the tops
All done! I can't believe it! The elusive French Parisian Macaroon...sitting in my kitchen just waiting to be eaten. I had so much fun making these and I'm so glad I tried these. I'm sure I'll be making these again. Maybe when I'm pregnant with baby#2? If I don't make these before baby #1 comes along it might take that long till I have this kind of time again!
My first parisian macaroons

**Update:
I tried these again having high hopes that I'd be just as successful as my very first try...WRONG! They were flat, filled with bubbles and bumpy and had absolutely NO FEET. :( So sad! Guess the warnings were correct! Things I did differently, I was NOT precise on the amount of egg whites that I used, losely measured the powdered sugar and baked at night instead of during the day. There's just too many things that could have made this recipe go wrong - so "follow the recipe" kids and cross your fingers that it all comes out right.

3 Comments:

At 8:37 PM, Blogger junko said...

These look awesome!! I've always been intimidated by the Macaroon but you inspired me!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Christopher Lum said...

looks delish!!!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Yum-e said...

Thanks Junko! Certinaly don't be intimidated. If I can do it - you certainly can do it...seriously. haha!

Hey Chris! It took all I had not to eat the whole batch! I took it to a party to people who had never had a parisian macaroon before - they though it was strange at first, called them "burgers" haha. But they ended up lovin' it. Wish I could've given you some. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home